Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

these are the specs
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I used to have upto 7 different Linux OS on my PC, apart from 2 Windows XP, and I used Smart Boot Manager ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/ ), which sits either on floppy, CD or the MBR. As soon as the PC starts I then can choose what OS I would like to run.
    However since then I found a much better way because needing Windows to run Motorola tools like SBF Recalc (Linux version also available now!) and RSD, but Linux to edit the firmware (Motomagx - Linux based), I often needed both operating systems, so dualboot was a pain in the backside, especially when you had a typo mistake in a script and you had to run Linux again. Shut down Windows, restart PC, use Linux, shutdown Linux, restart PC and use Windows.
    Now I am using VirtualBox ( http://www.virtualbox.org/ ), this way I can run Windows and Linux at the same time. With the use of "shared folders" in VirtualBox I can save all my Linux stuff in a folder that is also accessable from Windows. Just works great.
    Currently I have 11 "virtual" OS I can run, mostly Linux (lots of Debian, CentOS, SuSE, Kubuntu, Kanotix etc) but also one Android OS, but still struggling to get a Mac OS working so far.
    Because VirtualBox installs the complete OS in just one file (I choose 20 - 30 GB size), if there is a very bad virus or so, I just would lose one file, but not the host OS.
    For somebody who wants or needs different OS's then VirtualBox ist certainly the way to go.
    Last edited by Rasputin007; 08-20-2010 at 10:32 AM.
    Nothing is impossible, only miracles take a bit longer!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 854 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had heard of VirtualBox but hadn't tried it yet. I dual-boot my laptop for repo purposes (Debian, Perl, Bash, etc.). The Windows 7 boot is there for traveling purposes since I almost never use it at home. I'm going to look some more at VirtualBox because I have a need for shared folders that would make life so much easier for me!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is a bit of a steep learning curve at the beginning, but well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nothing is impossible, only miracles take a bit longer!

Thread Information