• Apple starts selling unlocked iPhones in the U.S.

It has been rumored that Apple would begin selling unlocked iPhones in the United States starting Wednesday, June 15th. The rumors were wrong. Starting today, you can pick up a factory unlocked iPhone from Apple without any contract commitment.

Now, you can pick up an iPhone, already unlocked, and use it anywhere in the world that the GSM standard is supported. The 16GB version is going for $649 while the 32GB version is going for $749. You can pick either one up in either black or white.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple starts selling unlocked iPhones in the U.S. started by maXimus View original post
    Comments 3 Comments
      nsandymary -
      I read the news and make me think....Why now apple in selling the phones factory unlock ??
      It has something to do with the new iphone release??
      Or the new one are going to be like I heard is already GSM/CDMA??

I know they have in the past that stupid contract with AT&T but nobody knows if that ends or not.
      maXimus -
      I believe they will be offering them like this from now on. I hope they go back and offer unlocking to current units, though.
      Rasputin007 -
      Ehh .... from that news I gather that you could not buy unlocked iPhone from the Apple Store in the US before.
      Did not knew that, you could do that in the UK for some years now.
      I mean if Apple would have sold them unlocked in their stores from day one, they would have sold much more units (including the AT&T ones) then the AT&T contract ones alone.
      A business has to sell their product and the more units they sell the better for the business, that's a fact.
      Makes you wonder how much AT&T paid Apple for the exclusive selling rights or what other means they used.