• How to jailbreak iPhone 4 untethered on iOS 4.3.1 with redsn0w

This guide is on how to jailbreak your iPhone 4 untethered on iOS 4.3.1 using redsn0w for Windows. If you are at baseband 01.59 and already unlocked, don't upgrade at the moment because there is still an issue with iOS 4.3.1 and the older basebands.

Needed:
    redsn0w (Windows) or redsn0w (Mac)
    iPhone3,1_4.3.1_8G4_Restore.ipsw

Step 1
    Launch redsn0w.

Step 2
    Browse to the ipsw file for your device. Redsn0w will process the file.

Step 3
    After the ipsw is identified, click Next to continue.

At this point, redsn0w will patch the file.

Step 4
    Select your options here.

Step 5
    Follow the instructions to place the device in DFU mode.

The iPhone will finish it's process and then reboot JAILBROKEN!

Enjoy!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: How to jailbreak iPhone 4 untethered on iOS 4.3.1 with redsn0w started by maXimus View original post
    Comments 12 Comments
      Rasputin007 -
      Nice Guide Max, just like to add a few of things to do before using redsn0w.
      1.) make a Backup with iTunes, it really saves a lot of time when setting up the iPhone on 4.3.1 again.
      2.) restore with iTunes, no shift or option key needed as iOS 4.3.1 is the current signed Apple firmware.
      3.) after the restore of 4.3.1, restore from the Backup you made earlier
      4.) run redsn0w as Max explained above
      5.) BEFORE you disconnect and start to install all your Cydia app etc, go to http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/, download the latest TinyUmbrella and run it, which will save the 4.3.1 shsh files, so that you can restore to 4.3.1 at anytime later
      6.) now disconnect and do the remaining setup.
      maXimus -
      Thanks for the additions, Ras!
      chuckturner -
      RedSnow is hanging up on me halfway through the process. Anyone else having issues?
      maXimus -
      Where exactly is it happening, chuck?
      chuckturner -
      It was in the final step when it loads the ramdisk. It would lock up at about 10%. After about 10 times it finally went through so everything is good now. I hope everyone is doing well. I wish I had more time to post with you guys like the old days.
      Rasputin007 -
      Did you use Win7 ?
      I have read that a lot of people had problems with Win 7, but when using Win XP it worked first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      chuckturner -
      Yes I was using windows 7. It may take a little longer but it works.
      Rasputin007 -
      Some Win7 user said that when running reds0w as Administrator in XP-compatible mode it works as well first time.
      I used Windows XP before, but after upgrading RAM to over 3.5GB, I had to use Windows XP 64 Edition to get full RAM benefit, but now iTunes does not run on XP 64. Not a bit deal, as I build myself an Intel PC for 60 which now runs Snow Leopard, so now I do all my jailbreaking, iTunes etc on Mac OS.
      maXimus -
      RC11 of redsn0w was just released. Some of the needless Settings options were removed. You may run RC11 over RC9 to correct. Be sure to de-select Cydia so that there are no package conflicts. Also, boot animations are enabled. They are installable through Cydia and can be selected in the Settings>>Bootlogo menu.
      plaincollar -
      Hi. Thanks for a superb guide. But I've got 4.3 Bought it today. Is it the same procedure as with 4.3.1 or...?

Best regards Plaincollar
      Eleain -
      thanks for sharing. that's what im looking for
      volta -
      Will this procedure work on 4.3.5 ? I'd love to upgrade and get an untethered device .