• How to jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 untethered with greenpois0n

This guide for jailbreaking the iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch 3G/4G or iPad iOS 4.2.1 untethered with greenpois0n is written with the RC5 version but an updated version is reportedly on the way. Unless it is drastically different, you should be able to use this guide, which is very simple.

Notes:
    • If you previously have jailbroken tethered, you can run greenspois0n on top of it and become untethered.
    • A clean restore is always recommended before jailbreaking but not necessary. If you used Monte, you must restore first.
    • If Cydia does not install from the Loader, you can use redsn0w to install it (don't use Monte).
    • Use TinyUmbrella to preserve your baseband on iPhone 4.
    • *Now with support for the Verizon iPhone on iOS 4.2.6
    You will need either of the following:greenpois0n (Windows)greenpois0n (Mac)
    Step 1
    Turn off your device and launch greenpois0n.

Step 2
    Click Prepare to Jailbreak (DFU).

Step 3
    Greenpois0n will guide you to put your device in DFU mode for the jailbreak.

Step 4
    Now just click Jailbreak! and let greenpois0n run.

At this point your device will be scrolling a bunch of white code on a black
    background. Greenpois0n will say Jailbreaking...

Step 5
    Quit greenpois0n. Your device should reboot untethered.

Enjoy!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: How to jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 untethered with greenpois0n started by maXimus View original post
    Comments 14 Comments
      nsandymary -
      Like always Boss....Thanks for the guides!!
      maXimus -
      Always a pleasure.
      nsandymary -
      Hey Boss, I just follow the instructions and everything went well on my friend's phone. But now, he call me that every time he download something from cydia
      and the phone said: reboot device, it reboot the phone but he need to run again the redsn0w to pull it out of the boot logo.

He's phone is: iphone 4 32GB Factory Unlocked
      BB 3.10
      Firmware: 4.2.1

Can you shed some light here please??
      maXimus -
      Tell me what steps you took to jailbreak and which programs you ran please. I've tested this and it works fine.
      nsandymary -
      1. Run the Greenpois0n
      2. Run Redsn0w

I think I'm using one of those 2 unthetered!!
      Coder -
      TU Max , for this guide ,
      but how could we remove the greenpois0n logo and get back the apple logo when iphone reboot .
      maXimus -
      Quote Originally Posted by nsandymary View Post
      1. Run the Greenpois0n
      2. Run Redsn0w

I think I'm using one of those 2 unthetered!!
      I don't understand why you are running redsn0w on top of greenpois0n. Greenpois0n jailbreaks untethered.

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
      TU Max , for this guide ,
      but how could we remove the greenpois0n logo and get back the apple logo when iphone reboot .
      Check out Ras's guide in the Guides section on how to change the boot logo. The stock one is still in there.
      Coder -
      Another thing maximus , Now there is the new version of greenpois0n gp_win_rc6.1.zip you can download it form the web site greenpois0n.com
      Actually i didn't use it yet , but i guess that the greenpois0n team had solved the bugs in the previous version and release now this one that you can jailbreak your phone without any problem .
      nsandymary -
      I run redsn0w on top of the greenpois0n because when I use at first the Greenpois0n, cydia logo was white and i read
      that I have to use redsn0w to bring back the cydia logo. That was my mistake. So that means that I have to do the
      process again?? If that the case....thanks God his phone is factory unlocked!!
      Rasputin007 -
      The talk about running redsn0w after greenpois0n was only because the greenpois0n website was overloaded with traffic, therefore greenpois0n could not download Cydia from the greepois0n website, thats why you ran redsn0w as that included Cydia. But you only installed Cydia when running redsn0w, nothing else!
      There were a few reports about missing Cydia icon, but they were usually resolved after a couple of reboots.
      nsandymary -
      Don't worry Ras, I already got it!! My friend is happy now!!
      maXimus -
      Quote Originally Posted by nsandymary View Post
      Don't worry Ras, I already got it!! My friend is happy now!!
      What was the resolution? Please share!
      nsandymary -
      Like you said Boss, was my mistake runing both. I just run greenpois0n and... Voilá!!
      Jailbreak with the loader to install cydia. Honestly, it was easy with you guide.

Thanks Boss again!!
      Jimmy -
      Thank you for sharing thr information with us.