• How to jailbreak iPod Touch 4G on iOS 4.2.1 with redsn0w

This guide is on how to jailbreak your iPod Touch 4G on iOS 4.2.1 using redsn0w for Windows.

*This jailbreak will be tethered.

Needed:
    redsn0w (Windows) or redsn0w (Mac)
    iPod4,1_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw

Step 1
    Launch redsn0w.

Step 2
    Browse to the ipsw file for your device. Redsn0w will process the file.

Step 3
    After the ipsw is identified, click Next to continue.

At this point, redsn0w will patch the file.

Step 4
    Select your options here.

Step 5
    Follow the instructions to place the device in DFU mode.

The iPhone will finish it's process and then reboot JAILBROKEN!

*For iPod Touch 4G users, if your device powers off you will need to reboot with redsn0w.
    Just select the option Just boot tethered right now and continue.

Enjoy!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: How to jailbreak iPod Touch 4G on iOS 4.2.1 with redsn0w started by maXimus View original post
    Comments 18 Comments
      Don Mike -
      Cuando ago este procedimiento mi ipod se queda con un icono de una piña mordida en el centro de mi pantalla y con un circulo hecho por lineas y haciendo un sonido como de tilin!! que podra ser?? Gracias por su ayuda?? Perdon por el español pero batallava para describirlo en ingles...
      maXimus -
      The screen with the pineapple is normal but it shouldn't stay like that. I haven't seen the lines or heard the sounds before. It may be a hardware issue. Can you restore and rejailbreak to see if that solves the issue?
      Don Mike -
      for a restore you mean go to itunes and push restore buttom? With a restore i will have to update to the 4.2.1 firmware (i have a slow internet conection)? can u pass me the link to download the ipsw to jailbreack?
      maXimus -
      This will get you to whichever firmware you need:

http://www.iphonemodding.com/forum/s...mware-releases

Don Mike -
      Thats firmwares are for the iphone !! for the ipod touch 3g i have to use wish firmware? iphone 4, 3gs or 3g? Thanks Max
      maXimus -
      OOps! Wrong link! Try this one:

http://www.iphonemodding.com/forum/s...mware-releases
      Don Mike -
      Attachment 1125

There is the pic Max!!!
      Don Mike -
      hey Max with this firmware can i jailbreack with redsnow or is just for restore? if is only for restore can u pass me the link to download the jailbreak firmware??
      Thanks
      maXimus -
      Go to the top of the page and click on the "Downloads" button.
      Don Mike -
      Ok I did a restore on mi ipod touch 3g, install cydia with redsnow and then fix it with this option!! but Rock does not work, shows the same problem that cydia, even when I update cydia i have to fix it with redsnow, from Rock this procedure do not work!! may be we have to wait for another cydia compatible with 4.2.1 or what we can do???
      maXimus -
      Rock does not exist anymore. Don't install it!
      Don Mike -
      Ok Max and what do you suggest for customize the ipod, because winterboard made crash the ipod and i need to do a full restore!!
      maXimus -
      How is Winterboard crashing the iPod? What exactly is happening?
      Don Mike -
      I install it and when reboot the ipod this not turn on just stay on black screen with the apples logo!! Firts install cydia, the update cydia and fix it again, then install winterboard and then the ipod crash!! i unistall the rock Max and now i have to fix Cydia again!!
      Don Mike -
      ipod crashed again!!! I will to restore it with the latest firmware downloaded from the forum ok!!
      maXimus -
      It's not crashing. It's tethered, isn't it? Which means everytime you boot it, you have to run redsn0w again.
      Don Mike -
      En español para explicarme mejor... Anoche hice una restauracion con la mas nueva version, despues instale el cydia el cual lo tube que reparar con el redsnow seleccionando "Just boot tethered right now" ya cundo el cydia inicio normalmente me pidio que lo actualizara que habia unos paquetes que se tenia que instalar, los instale y el ipod se reinicio automaticamente lo que es comun cuando cydia se actualiza, pero al momento de tratar de entrar a cydia ya no funcionaba lo tube que volver a reparar con el redsnow seleccionando "just boot tethered right now" luego ya reparado cydia busque el winterboard y lo instale, el ipod se reinicio solo por que asi lo hace cuando se insatala el winterboard despues de esto el ipod se reinicia y se queda trabado se queda solo con la pantalla negra y el logo de apple y de ahi no pasa!! incluso trate de arreglarlo con el redsnow otra vez seleccionando "just boot tethered" pero no funciono tube que hacerle una restauracion al ipod.!!! No se que esta haciendo mal Max. Gracias por tu ayuda.
      maXimus -
      Everytime the iPod has to reboot, you have to use "Just boot tethered right now". The Dev Team is still waiting on a way to avoid this. Once you have everything installed and working, then don't turn off your iPod and don't reboot or you will have to do it again. I got my son an iPod Touch for Christmas and haven't had to reboot it since. But I explained to him that if he ever turns it off, I will need to connect it to the computer to turn it on again just like you are doing.