• How to jailbreak and unlock iPhone 3G on iOS 4.2.1 with redsn0w

This guide is on how to jailbreak your iPhone 3G on iOS 4.2.1 using redsn0w for Windows. If you need to be unlocked and are stuck on baseband 05.14 or 05.15, then you will have the option to flash your iPhone with the 06.15 baseband which is currently unlockable with the latest ultrasn0w. Some users are reporting problems with GPS but the Dev Team has promised a fix for those issues. If you are already unlocked, your should use PwnageTool or restore to a custom ipsw that will not update your baseband.
    WARNING: Please read the following notes before making the decision:

1. There is no way to come back down from 06.15, and there’s no hiding the baseband version from Apple. You’ll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
    2. If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you won’t be able to update to it if it remains down in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldn’t update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).
    3. Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you won’t ever be able to restore to stock firmware (it will fail). You’ll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if you’re unlocker you should already be doing that).

Needed:
    redsn0w (Windows) or redsn0w (Mac)
    iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw

Step 1
    Launch redsn0w.

Step 2
    Browse to the ipsw file for your device. Redsn0w will process the file.

Step 3
    After the ipsw is identified, click Next to continue.

At this point, redsn0w will patch the file.

Step 4
    Select your options here. If you need to unlock at the 06.15
    baseband, you will be shown a warning.

Step 5
    Follow the instructions to place the device in DFU mode.

If you selected Install iPad baseband redsn0w will fetch the necessary files.

The iPhone will finish it's process and then reboot JAILBROKEN!

You can now unlock with the latest ultrasn0w!!

Enjoy!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: How to jailbreak and unlock iPhone 3G on iOS 4.2.1 with redsn0w started by maXimus View original post
    Comments 31 Comments
      Coder -
      Maximus ? !! that;s the way that i told you about it time ago !! i said to you that i can;t make a thread !!!!!!!! i upload a pic for the problem crash with me .. !! now one cares for it
      i said that the de-team found a new way to jailbreak the 4.2.1 no one cares .
      i said that they use the new redsn0w for let you jumps the 4.2.1 firmware to the 6.15.00 ipad firmware cuz it is not locked and available for all ..
      check the recent message of me in the chat box . @ that time Thomas send me a message , he told me in it don't talk @ the chatbox much more ..

i used this way to unlock mmmmm more than 25 days ago

anyway thank you maximus for the complete guide for jailbreaking and unlock the 4.2.1
      maXimus -
      I did this on my 3G and everything seems ok. I doubt I will try it on the 3GS. I can't wait to see if the Dev Team comes up with a baseband downgrader. Maybe for Christmas!
      spootxfacexcore -
      I currently have an iphone 3g. I'm running firmware 4.2.1 with baseband 05.15. I've followed this guide step by step downloading the ipad baseband, and firmware restore, etc. No matter what I do, everytime I try to JB it using Redsn0w it locks up on "Updating Ramdisk" I've tried it multiple times. IDK what to do :[
      maXimus -
      Try re-downloading redsn0w and jailbreaking. Maybe there is something got corrupted in the file during download.
      spootxfacexcore -
      Actually I set to run as administrator and set the affinity for redsn0w to cpu 1 using task manager. It finished the process perfectly. Now my only concern is finding out if it's actually unlocked. I have an at&t gophone sim card that has unlimited texting, my iphone can't find service with it. And under settings > general > about my carrier still says "at&t 9.0" as opposed to "not available"
      maXimus -
      Are you running Vista? I'm running Windows 7 and have not had to "Run as administrator".
      spootxfacexcore -
      windows 7 ultimate 64bit. idk why i had to exactly, but i did. seems like i haven't been the only person to encounter this problem. but every thing is fine now. i have only to troubleshoot the unlock now. would you have any suggestions as to how i could do that? should it work with a att gophone sim?
      maXimus -
      Most jailbreak tools have always behaved weirdly on 64 bit systems. I would recommend using 32 bit for redsn0w. To unlock, you're going to have to use the 06.15 baseband.
      spootxfacexcore -
      I used the 06.15 baseband. It's installed correctly. I ran ultrasn0w 1.2 to unlock it. However there don't seem to be any indicators that it's actually unlocked. I was wondering how I could check it to see if it is
      maXimus -
      The only way to check is to drop in a different sim but I'm pretty sure it's unlocked.
      bebeto_269 -
      Hey Maximus long time since I reed you, how are you?
      Question I have in my hands a iPhone 4.0.1 (8A306) modem firmware 5.13.04
      wish IPSW and jailbreak program do you recommend?
      maXimus -
      You have two alternatives:

1. You can restore to 4.2.1 with a custom ipsw file that will not upgrade the baseband, or
      2. You can upgrade to 4.2.1 with iTunes, then use redsn0w 0.9.6b6 to flash the 06.15 baseband.

With either method, you can unlock with ultrasn0w.
      bebeto_269 -
      thanks MaXimus, question

if I Flash the 06.15 baseband do I have problems to use it with TELCEL?
      it's a new iPhone AT&T Carrier or just live it with the 05.13.04?

downloading redsn0w_win_0.9.6b6
      and iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore
      maXimus -
      No. You'll be fine. If you ever want to upgrade to a newer version firmware, you will still have to use a custom ipsw file for the jailbreak.
      bebeto_269 -
      Thanks MaXimus Always good and useful info

didn't read this info before

1. You can restore to 4.2.1 with a custom ipsw file that will not upgrade the baseband, or
      2. You can upgrade to 4.2.1 with iTunes, then use redsn0w 0.9.6b6 to flash the 06.15 baseband.

so first I Have to upgrade the firmware to 4.2.1
      then run redsn0w what if I just restore to 4.2.1 With ( iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore ) instead of the upgrade will it work?

I did run redsn0w with the 4.0.1 and looks like nothing happened
      under General > About > I still have the version 4.0.1 (8A306) Carrier AT&T Modem Firmware 05.13.04
      XtrlRulz -
      If he got that Cellphone he just have to go www.jailbreakme.com and jailbreak it with cydia installed.
      XtrlRulz -
      Im pretty sure by this time he just update the Iphone to 4.2.1 but he can With 4.0.1 go to www.jailbreakme.com over the safari connected to Wifi and Do it...
      bebeto_269 -
      Need Advice

I really don’t know what am I Doing wrong

First Time
      1.- Shift > Restore > iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore (with iTunes)
      2.- run redsn0w_win_0.9.6b6 (point to iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore)
      3.- Install Cydia and battery percentage (check)
      4.- did not install iPad Baseband
      5.- Done
      6.- Update complete to Cydia so I can find ultrasn0w 1.2
      7.- Install it

Put the SIM in and No Service and when I go to settings > carriers it says UNABLE TO LOAD NETWORK LIST

Second time same process as above but with the SIM IN same results UNABLE TO LOAD NETWORK LIST

Third Time
      1.- Restore > (with iTunes) took like 25 minutes
      2.- run redsn0w_win_0.9.6b6 (point to iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore)
      3.- Install Cydia and battery percentage (check)
      4.- did not install iPad Baseband
      5.- Done
      6.- Update complete to Cydia so I can find ultrasn0w 1.2
      7.- Install it

Put the SIM in and No Service and when I go to settings > carriers it says UNABLE TO LOAD NETWORK LIST

Fourth Time same process as above but with the SIM IN same results UNABLE TO LOAD NETWORK LIST

Question is it the version of iTunes that I’m Using? 10.1.1.4
      Or am I missing something?

Something funny Settings > General > About >

Network Not Available
      Version 4.2.1(8C148)
      Carrier Telcel 9.1 then what’s wrong here
      Modem Firmware 05.15.04

Thanks in advance

How can you tell apart a 3G From a 3GS?
      bebeto_269 -
      MaXimus You Told us here

Quote Originally Posted by maXimus View Post
      Most jailbreak tools have always behaved weirdly on 64 bit systems. I would recommend using 32 bit for redsn0w. To unlock, you're going to have to use the 06.15 baseband.
      didn't understand why and found this

Certainly don’t update to 06.15 if you don’t need to! Only do this if you need the unlock and you’re stuck on 05.14 or 05.15, and you’re willing to assume the above risks.

05.14 and 05.15 can't be unlock

HERE

THANKS A LOT
      XtrlRulz -
      Exactly, that was but Snowbreeze show you how to save your firmware baseband on the new update.