• Motorola is splitting into two different companies

This past Thursday, Motorola announced that the company will be split up into two separate companies some time in the first quarter of 2011.

Initially the company had planned on spinning off it's mobile devices unit but now it looks like they will combine the mobile devices unit with the home devices unit, which manufactures set-top boxes. It will be led by the current CEO Sanjay Jha. The other division will handle their enterprise mobility solutions and network businesses. It will be led by co-CEO Greg Brown.

If you're lucky (or unlucky) enough to own Motorola shares, you will get shares in both companies. They will both continue to use the Motorola brand name.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Motorola is splitting into two different companies started by maXimus View original post
    Comments 5 Comments
      nsandymary -
      You think it's good time to buy some shares??
      maXimus -
      Depends on if you think they can finally turn the company around. They bet on Droid (CDMA) but unless they have a GSM phone that appeals to the masses (a la V3), they are still in the same boat. I have yet to see a non-GSM phone take off like a GSM phone. The rest of the world has gone GSM.
      Kruejl -
      I wouldn't put too much cash in this deal. Motorola plans on many new smart phones this year, but they tend to offer poor devices with flaky features. MOTOBLUR anyone? Even the Droid, while being a decent phone from my experience, cannot compete with the iPhone and HTC offerings. If any of you remember, it was about a year ago that Moto was seriously looking into dumping their handset division all together.
      maXimus -
      I'm not sure how to explain this but I'll try: A friend at work bought a Droid a couple of months ago. He let me play with it a little while and what I found was that the screen felt like one of those "fake" phones you see at the kiosks in the mall. It wasn't smooth like the iPhone. It was obvious the display (hardware) was inferior.
      Kruejl -
      Agreed. One of my co workers has the Droid and he has let me play around with it many times. While it's a capable device, my 3gs is better. From fit to finish to speed, the Droid just doesn't cut it.