PDA

View Full Version : Stingray finds new way to kill.

GraemeCR
03-20-2008, 11:28 PM
MARATHON, Fla. (AP) A 75-pound stingray killed a Michigan woman Thursday when it flew out of the water and struck her face as she rode a boat in the Florida Keys, officials said.

Judy Kay Zagorski, of Pigeon, Mich., was sitting in the front seat of a boat going 25 mph when the spotted eagle ray, with a wingspan of 5 to 6 feet, leaped out of the water, said Jorge Pino, spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission .....

The impact likely killed the woman, and she did not appear to have puncture wounds from the ray's barb.......

More.... (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5icRZx9AyPB5JG1vMb9ippqO1atVQD8VHH84O0)

I'm sure Steve Irwin would have said: "Crikey!"

maXimus
03-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Those are some amazing animals! I have seen them while scuba diving! They seem so harmless the way they float around! :cool:

overjjrk
03-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Note to self......the ocean doesn't like us!!!!! :D

maXimus
03-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Note to self......the ocean doesn't like us!!!!! :D
It just wants us to respect it!

I had the (dis?)pleasure of scuba diving with an 8ft. bull shark on my 5th or 6th dive, which was my first after getting my license (I'm now a licensed diving instructor, btw). I went through 2500lbs. of air in about 7 or 8 minutes!!! How exciting! :cool:

overjjrk
03-21-2008, 05:58 PM
^^^Congrats on the instructors license, you gotta be in shape to pass that. :thumbup:

maXimus
03-21-2008, 11:44 PM
^^^Congrats on the instructors license, you gotta be in shape to pass that. :thumbup:
And to be a Gladiator as well! :cool:

Hey-man
03-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Stingray are nice

but i loved Crocodile Hunter

now i hate stingray :lol:

GraemeCR
03-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Steve Irwin would (I think) say:

"Aw listen mate, it wasn't the stingrays' fault in either case.
The bloke that got me was just defending himself because I didn't tell him I was there.
This latest 'ray and the lady were just really bloody unlucky. It's a big world. Who would guess that with all the space there is above the water that they were both in the same space at exactly the same time. Crikey!"

(With deepest condolences and the utmost respect to the lady in the Florida incident and her family and to Steve Irwin and his family.)

Hey-man
03-24-2008, 01:25 PM
^^^^^

You'r right

i learned a lot from Steve Irwin

he died doing what he love to do :cheers: