PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

spiderman001728
11-28-2009, 03:33 AM
I have the 3GS. Never JBed. But I'm getting an itchy trigger finger. Lol. So....... Let's here the pros and cons please.

Thank You iPhoneModding family

spiderman001728
11-28-2009, 03:34 AM
Oh also. If anyone has a 2G with a working screen for a guy with limited funds shoot me a PM. Lol thanks

maXimus
11-28-2009, 03:42 AM
I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to jailbreak their iPhone. There are hundreds if not thousands of useful apps and utilites that can't be released on the AppStore and can only be found on Cydia. Then there are all the themes for Winterboard. And at anytime, you can restore your phone back to the old boring stock, leaving no trace of a jailbreak. :cool:

spiderman001728
11-28-2009, 03:58 AM
What about performance issues like slow and
laggy. Crashes???

nsandymary
11-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Honestly, i'm not seen any lack of performance spidey.I got mine with t-mo jailbreak and unlock and work flawless. also not to mention my wife's phone too.for us it's better that way because we can install many apps. like mywi to have internet,pda net to use our computers tether etc. IMHO.... don't be scare to do it. Like the boss said: you can go back to the boring stock :lol: restoring your phone but it's worth it.

maXimus
11-28-2009, 11:14 AM
I haven't had any performance issues. But even the occasional "freeze" happens on non-jailbroken iPhones.

The only thing a jailbreak really does is allow reading and writing to the firmware's file system. After that, the apps are written to work just like native iPhone apps. You're only "performance issue" may caused by some themes on Winterboard.

Winterboard themes don't totally replace the images on the iPhone (which Summerboard did and did it faster). Winterboard calls up the images from a theme instead of the stock images. This means that there are "hooks" in the system used to identify when this needs to happen. Depending on the theme, how it was made and the sheer number of images, that may slow down your phone when changing screens or accessing areas changed by the theme.

End of the day: a jailbroken iPhone is more than twice as useful as a stock iPhone because apps are allowed more freedom in the filesystem, therefore, can do more than what the AppStore apps can do. :cool:

Akhenaten
11-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Pros....100's of pros

cons....None

Upgrade it to 3.1.2 and run blackra1n, it cant even be messed up!

maXimus
11-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Pros....100's of pros

cons....None

Upgrade it to 3.1.2 and run blackra1n, it cant even be messed up!
^^^^^ :thumbup:

spiderman001728
11-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Ok. I'll do it on Sunday morning. What's the "must have apps" I need to install first.
Thanks

maXimus
11-28-2009, 09:31 PM
iPhoneModding Repo
Winterboard - themes
MakeItMine - customize your carrier or banner
Five Icon Dock - five icons on the dock instead of four
OpenSSH - access your file structure with WinSCP
QuckReply for SMS - answer text messages without leaving an app
SBSettings - quick toggles

:cool:

Kruejl
11-28-2009, 11:50 PM
+1 for QuickReply for SMS...its a must have IMHO.