PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the Otterbox Defender?

Kruejl
10-12-2009, 09:08 PM
I have one for my 2g, and I'm considering one for my new 3GS but I am wondering if anyone can comment on whether or not it scratches the back of the phone. My 2G still looks good, but how about the glossy plastic of the newer iPhones? Thanks!

maXimus
10-13-2009, 10:34 AM
I hadn't even heard of it! :laugh:

I really like my phones "naked" though. I've always shyed away from anything that covers up the phone. The most I may use is a case with a belt clip. But when it's in my hand, it's "a la natural"! :D

Kruejl
10-13-2009, 09:30 PM
The thing is, the back scratches so easy on the newer iPhones. I hate scratches. :D

maXimus
10-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Which is why I always put my phone face down and never on it's back! :cool:

Kruejl
10-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Just got one today at the AT&T store. I'll post pics later on but so far its built like a tank!

maXimus
10-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Congrats! Can't wait to see the photos. :cool:

Kruejl
10-15-2009, 09:44 PM
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q287/kruejl/P1010669.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q287/kruejl/P1010671.jpg

Sorry, not the greatest photos. Anyway, its a 3-piece case system. The first two pieces are a heavy-duty plastic "rollcage" that snaps onto the phone. The front face also has a built in semi-rigid screen protector. I read that many people have had a problem with a bubble-like effect, but this is easily resolved by installing an anti-glare screen protector to the phone first. Since I already had one installed, it was not an issue for me.
The third piece is a heavy-duty silicone sleeve that covers the "rollcage". It has several notches and cutouts that fit into the "rollcage" cuts so it can't move or slide around. It also has access ports for everything and small flaps in the silicone to cover up the ports and keep them secure from lint and moisture.

Overall, its the most durable case I have ever seen. I read many reviews on it before getting it and it seems that the few negative review items that were mentioned have been addressed by Otterbox and fixed (such as fabric covers over the mic and speaker which hampered performance.

If you work or play hard, I can totally recommend this case. Yes, its a bit bulky, but I have absolutely no fear at all of damaging my phone by an errant drop or bump. And with Apple updating not only iBoot but the Baseband as well in the latest firmware, finding a replacement iPhone 3GS that can be unlocked is only going to get harder so I want to make sure the one I have is protected as much as possible.

Otterbox Site (http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-3g-3gs/iphone-3g-3gs-defender-case/)

maXimus
10-15-2009, 10:46 PM
This case is incredible. It looks like you can drive a tank over it and it'll come out unscathed! :cool:

Kruejl
10-15-2009, 10:52 PM
LOL, I wouldn't try that myself, but I did read about someone who ran over their phone (while in the case) with their motorized wheelchair and the phone came out unscathed.