PDA

View Full Version : Sony to win this time!

GraemeCR
02-19-2008, 01:07 AM
In the mid 80's, Sony's Betamax lost the videotape format war to JVC's VHS format.
(For more see: The Betamax vs VHS Format War (http://www.mediacollege.com/video/format/compare/betamax-vhs.html))

This time, it appears that Sony is winning the hi-def DVD recording war.
Reports are surfacing that Toshiba is about to drop its HD-DVD recording format... maybe even making that announcement this week.
(More here: Blu-ray nears victory in battle over high-def DVD players (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2008-02-17-toshiba-hddvd_N.htm?csp=34))

lazy202
02-19-2008, 01:12 AM
good thing i have blu-ray already ;)

GraemeCR
02-19-2008, 10:40 AM
It's now official. Toshiba announced today that it is dropping HD-DVD format and will stop shipping units at the end of March 2008. Future products will incorporate to Blu-ray technology.

The implications for Microsoft's Xbox - which uses HD-DVD format - are not yet clear.

lazy202
02-19-2008, 10:43 AM
What do you think they will be doing with the units that they already sold? Do you think they are going to recall them or maybe do an even exchange?

My personal opinion I think they will just let the consumer eat the cost!!!!

maXimus
02-19-2008, 10:44 AM
It looks like HD-DVD is on the ropes and is about to be knocked out! Sony pulled out all the stops to avoid another Betamax fiasco!!! Personally, from a public relations standpoint, I thought the name HD-DVD was more appealing! Then again, I'm a baby-boomer! For the Generation X'ers, Blu-ray sounds "kewl"!! :)

lazy202
02-19-2008, 10:47 AM
i like HD-DVD nameing better also lol. But you know what i think everyone saw this comeing and this is why i made my fold buy blu-ray opposed to hd-dvd ;) or maybe it was just a great guess on my part lol

GraemeCR
02-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Consumers spoke. It looks like the greater storage capacity of Blu-ray beat out Toshiba.
An average of 25G B/layer for Blu-ray vs. 15 GB for HD-DVD.
25GB is about 4 hours of hi-def. video.

citadel
02-20-2008, 05:36 PM
What do you think they will be doing with the units that they already sold? Do you think they are going to recall them or maybe do an even exchange?

My personal opinion I think they will just let the consumer eat the cost!!!!
That's exactly what they are going to do - just like they did when Beta lost out all those years ago. They may even continue to make some HD-DVDs available for a while so they can continue to tap that market.

GraemeCR
02-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Microsoft said it will stop making HD DVD players for its Xbox 360 video game system after Toshiba ceded the high-definition video format battle to Sony's Blu-ray.

Microsoft said Saturday it would continue to provide standard warranty support for its HD DVD players. Toshiba President Atsutoshi Nishida last week estimated about 300,000 people own the Microsoft video player, sold as a separate add-on for the Xbox 360.

Mekodamier
02-25-2008, 05:24 PM
good thing i have blu-ray already ;)

Me too!!:D
in my PS3 of Curse!!:cool:
Cool isn't??:)

maXimus
02-27-2008, 01:09 AM
I'm definitely adding Blu-ray to the computer I am building! :)