PDA

View Full Version : Cydia xGPS v1.2 Released; Turns iPhone into a True GPS device with Turn-By-Turn Voice Navig

chuckturner
03-03-2009, 09:52 AM
http://xgpsdev.xwaves.net/wp-content/uploads/screen-12-2.jpg

Xwaves has released the latest version of their iPhone app, xGPS (v1.2) which will turn your iPhone into a True GPS device by bringing turn-by-turn voice navigation.
If someone hasn't jumped on to the iPhone hacking bandwagon then xGPS might have just given them a good reason to jailbreak their iPhone.

S6BrtXI9Da4

Tn-GJYCnJTk

A first beta version of voice navigation in English is now implemented and the speech engine does a pretty good job of pronouncing the directions (see the first video above). It will need some future tweaks to correctly pronounce abbreviations (like Rd, Blvd, Pkwy, N, E, S W, slashes, etc), but other than that it does a very good job.
GPS coordinates are now accessible under the GPS settings menu.
A Night Mode view is now available under the User Interface settings menu. Night Mode can either be manually enabled or automatically through a timer from 8pm through 7am. The timer is currently fixed, but will be fully customizable in a future release.
You can also have your iPhone/iPod play music at the same time when using the xGPS application. The voice directions will be played through the music (see the second video above). It would be nice to have the music fade in/out when there is a voice direction.

Unlike GPS devices which have the Maps available on the GPS device, xGPS depends on Google Maps so you will need a data connection to download it. However, as you can see from the video above it seems to work quite well. As per Gizmodo (http://i.gizmodo.com/5151202/turn+by+turn-voice-navigation-comes-to-jailbroken-iphones), you will be able to select a map area and download it ahead of time, just in case you expect a poor data connection during the drive so that might be a good workaround for the first drawback.

Since you have to keep this iPhone app running constantly, you can expect a significant drain on your iPhone's battery life, so if you are planning to use this app while driving, you should also keep an iPhone car charger handy to keep it charged.

However, you can download xGPS on your jailbroken iPhone via Cydia to see how well it works for you as its available for free.

Iphonehacks.com (http://www.iphonehacks.com/2009/03/xgps-v12-released-turns-iphone-into-a-true-gps-device-with-turnbyturn-voice-navigation.html)
Xwaves Website (http://xgpsdev.xwaves.net/)

maXimus
03-03-2009, 10:14 PM
You just made my day chuck!!!!!!!! I'll let you know how it works!! :thumbup:

Kruejl
03-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Oh wow, I'm all over this!

maXimus
03-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Downloading and installing.............. :cool:

chuckturner
03-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Welcome guys

maXimus
03-03-2009, 11:33 PM
I got it! Tomorrow I'll see if it actually gets me to work! :D

nsandymary
03-03-2009, 11:37 PM
i'm with you boss,already downloaded and ready to put on test tomorrow

Kruejl
03-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Me too, I'll see how well it does in the morning!

nsandymary
03-04-2009, 12:43 AM
i'm trying to set the maps but i can't

death2012
03-04-2009, 03:38 AM
i tried it but everything is in a different language

maXimus
03-10-2009, 10:54 PM
http://www.iphonemodding.com/photogallery/misc/xgps_ss.png

Sorry to take so long to get back to everyone. I tested the app and I can honestly say it works! It got me to work and it got me home. It tracks your position with the blue dot, tells you ahead of time when you have to turn and also highlights the corners where you have to turn. In the bottom right hand corner of the screen you can see your velocity. It was pretty acurate. I took the screenshot while at a traffic light (you can tell from the image).

There was a couple of times that it said I was going the wrong way but still showed me as being on the right path, then corrected itself. The voice is "robotish" but understandable without the radio on.

I give it a 7 out of 10. :thumbup:

chuckturner
03-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Nice thanks for the review:cheers: Makes me want a 3G:bigcry:

Kruejl
03-10-2009, 11:22 PM
maX, I had comparible results when I tested it. Somethimes the voice guidance works, sometimes not. I still find myself using the native Google app because it seems more accurate.

nsandymary
03-11-2009, 03:20 PM
;)i'm glad boss you got it up and running.can you explain to all of us how you set your phone please??

maXimus
03-11-2009, 04:57 PM
I just entered my home information and let the program do the rest! ;)

I let it take me a different route to work this morning and I got there at least 5-7 minutes faster than my regular route. That's a big deal since I'm only about 15-20 minutes from work! :cool:

nsandymary
03-11-2009, 09:14 PM
ok boss but... did you download the maps in your phone or did you use the xGPS Manager?

maXimus
03-11-2009, 10:32 PM
It downloaded the maps I needed automatically.....I guess :D