PDA

View Full Version : Request for help Flashing phone

Lionblade
11-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Hey guys, I boguht a US Cellular ROKR Z6M phone for a good deal and wanna use it with my provider: Cricket. I understand I have to flash the phone and then I can take it to use with them... I know I need a USB cable, a couple programs and the firmware/monster files?

This would be my first time and although I know a good amount about comptuers, Im a noob when it comes to cell phones. Anyone able to help a brotha out? If not, its ok. Thanx for your time. Take care. :)

maXimus
11-15-2008, 11:08 PM
We have a member (Rayborn) that is a real expert with this phone!! I'll send him a message and hope that he can help! Stay tuned! :thumbup:

Lionblade
11-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Appreciate any help. Thanx for passin the word Maximus.

Rayborn
11-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Follow this guide at your own risk. I have tested and done this but flashing your phone always poses a risk and will void your warranty. Myself nor maXimus Forums take any responsibility for the danger posed.

You will need certain things before we can continue.

You will need a mini USB cable that can connect your phone to your PC
The Motorola Drivers (32Bit Windows (http://developer.motorola.com/docstools/USB_Drivers/Handset_USB_Driver/Handset_USB_Driver_32_v3.7.0.msi/) 64Bit Windows (http://developer.motorola.com/docstools/USB_Drivers/Handset_USB_Driver_64/Handset_USB_Driver_x64_v3.7.0.msi))
RSD Lite (you will have to use google to locate this product (since this isnt freeware))
Z6m Cricket Firmware (http://www.kingpharaday.com/files/cricket/cricket_z6m.rar)

Make sure you have a completely full battery for this process.

Place your phone into bootloader mode by holding the * and # keys while turning on your phone.

Start RSD Lite and connect your phone.

It will should look similar to this.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg85/rayborn1/rsdlite.jpg

Now browse to the monster pack for this phone which can be found here
Clicky (http://www.kingpharaday.com/files/cricket/cricket_z6m.rar)

It will take awhile. Be sure not to disconnect your phone. The best thing to do is sit back and smoke a cigarette have a soda, whatever as long as it doesn't involve anything to due with the computer in front of you.

Remember flashing your phone will erase all data and restore it to default factory settings. You will need to reactivate your phone by dialing 1800Cricket (274-2538) and upgrade you hand held device...I used to remember the exact order and when to dial what extension but I cant remember anymore...there is a 15$ charge for changing phones with Cricket unless you know someone that works at a store that can waive the charge there.

Also this is an important step, ask them to give you your MIN(mobile identification number) and MDN(mobile directory number) and write these down, if you are going to get into modding phones it is very handy to have these so you dont have to figure them out everytime you need them. Pluse if the automatic update doesnt work on your phone we will need them to manually program your phone.

Now tell them you want to update your ESN, after you have them update your account with your new ESN all you have to do is dial *228 to update your PRL, if that one does work try dialing *22804, if neither are successful (which is very rare btw)you may have to manually program the phone. Stay Tuned for that Guide.

Hey-man
11-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Nice guide Rayborn :thumbup:

Rayborn
11-17-2008, 06:39 PM
This was sent to me via PM but It makes a great addition to the guide.

I did go head and dl the firmware and RSD and it shows the info when I load it up in RSD.

But I was curious, is this a full flash for my phone? And I just wanna make sure that this wont have a prob replacing the US Celluler firmware thats already on there?

Also.. I know there is a risk when flashing, but what would you say the percentage of it failing the format of the firmware is... and also, if it did fail, am I SOL or can I try again or something?

Sorry for all the noob questions, just gonna be my first time and I really wanna get my Z6M transfered. :) take care.

Rayborn
11-17-2008, 06:42 PM
The answer to the chance of failing is very slim, I have tested this software many times and so you have no need to worry on that end. As long as you don't use your computer or touch the phone during the flash process the chance of it failing is very very very small.

It is the full flash file otherwise known as a Monster Pack for CDMA. With a monster pack it will completely delete everything off of the phone and place it into an "Just out of the Box" condition software wise. It will have every thing preset for Cricket 99% of the time.

Lionblade
11-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Followed the guide. Walked away and came back to a nice Cricket ROKR Z6M phone. Saved myself $65. Thanx much Rayborn and Maximus

Rayborn
11-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Thank you for letting us know how it went, im glad it worked.

Saved myself $65

If you really want I can give you my paypal address and I can take that $65 off your hands :lol::cheers:

maXimus
11-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Great job all Lionblade! Great help Rayborn! :thumbup: