PDA

View Full Version : 3G - where is the unlock info stored ???

Sheemoo
09-25-2008, 07:09 AM
If I have an iphone 3G running at AT&T and insert a sim card from another operator that also sells iphone, should it work !?!?!?

e.g: iphone from AT&T with sim card from Claro (operator in latin america).

I imagine that the firmware is responsable to keep this info (allowed sim cards), but in Italy apple sells unlocked iphones (with a higher price).... :banging:

tks

Prolevelz
09-25-2008, 07:27 AM
oh really?

but in Italy apple sells unlocked iphones (with a higher price).... :banging:

But here,..some of us not me..........UNLOCK iPhone 3G......with a generated sim!!! "Universal SIM,YESSIM, and other generated sim that supports 3G iPhone".....

Like turbo sim before in 2G iPhone ver 112..........

But as soonest maybe a software will release for UNLOCK iPhone 3G...,easily......... Hope so...

nsandymary
09-25-2008, 09:24 AM
maybe this can help you.here's the link:
http://www.any-network.com/

Sheemoo
09-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Hey, Thank you for your help!!!

Actually, let me try to rephrase that...

Let's assume I travel to another country (UK - which has iphone as well) with my iPhone from ATT, for example, O2... So, if I get the simcard from O2 and insert it.... Should it work ???

So, where the info about the allowed sim cards is stored??? Maybe in the firmware ??? I really don't think that the manufacturer (in china) prepares each iphone for each market... for example:

- ATT in the USA
- Claro and movil in Chile
- Claro and Vivo in Brasil
- O2 in UK
- Vodafone in Italy
- Orange in France
- etc...

tks,

maXimus
09-25-2008, 02:00 PM
I think it should work since AT&T GoPhone cards (pre-paid) work in the 3G. The firmware has all the operator bundles built in since they can't control if you update from Italy or the USA. :cool:

Sheemoo
09-25-2008, 02:25 PM
maX, an :thumbup: for u !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we are in the same page... each new firmware release, the new operators info are added to it. That means, depending where you are, it's not necessary to buy Universal SIM or other like that...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for TIM in Brasil, so far there's no agreement with Apple (only Vivo and Claro got that).

Maybe I'll have to buy an Universal SIM... when I bought a SIM to unlock 2G (4.6BL) the next day the unlock soft was available... :bigcry:

You can buy a pkey reader for $15.69 each at GSM Traders
http://www.gsm-traders.com/shop/product.php?productid=22835&cat=0&page=1

They also sell Universal Sim for $19.64 each
http://www.gsm-traders.com/shop/product.php?productid=19360&cat=0&page=1

Anyone would like to share impressions about Universal SIM ?

tks,
vlad

maXimus
09-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Don't quote me on that!!!!!!!!! :D

Hey-man
09-25-2008, 05:14 PM
I see no problem :D

If you buy a att&t iphone you can use it for Claro

If the Claro sim don't work yuo just go to a claro store... I have a friend who did that & now he has him at&t iphone working on Claro ;)

Good Luck

Sheemoo
09-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Confirmed ! ! !

I just bought a 16GB at apple store in Miami (att), OTB 2.0.2, and it accepted Vivo and Claro sim cards ! ! ! But TIM, no success (al providers from BR)...:bigcry:

I'll update itunes and firmware to the latest version.

:clapping:

maXimus
09-28-2008, 12:27 AM
That's good info to know Sheemoo!! Thanks for sharing!! :cheers: