PDA

View Full Version : 32GB iPhone, at-home activation?

maXimus
09-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Rumor-mill has it that Apple will soon release a 32GB iPhone and, according to AppleInsider, will once again allow at-home activations. Personally, the extra capacity won't be an issue for me until I can get all 65GB of my music on one device! The most interesting thing would be the at-home activations. I guess since Apple can plainly see that the 3G has been impossible to unlock, there's no reason they should continue to waste time in the stores with activations when the customer will have to activate it with an official carrier anyway. :cool:

nsandymary
09-21-2008, 12:39 PM
regarding the in home activation..i think that's what iphone dev team are waiting for.i think after if this is possible..they release the unlock and jaibreak program to everybody. in that way you don't get stuck with the programming or any problem or bugs that apple can create it.we will be able to do with the 3g what most of us do with the 1st iphone.

MrBucket101
09-21-2008, 12:47 PM
I dunno maX, I'm glad to hear about the in-home activation strategy and all. However it just doesn't sound right to me. I mean apple has a good thing going for them right now, its impossible to get an iPhone 3G w/o spending 600+ on ebay or signing a contract with AT&T.

Maybe they did the numbers and realized that the iPhone 2G did so well b/c it was hackable, they probably want all of us hackers to buy a 3G. I mean they are a corparation so i doubt they would do anything that would cause them to actually LOSE money

maXimus
09-21-2008, 01:29 PM
I see what you're saying MrBucket. And on top of that, since they no longer get a piece of the AT&T account, it makes more business sense to sell the phone to any and everybody that wants it.

I have always believed and have always said that someone on the Dev Team works for Apple or has connections to an Apple engineer. No one can convince me otherwise. It's uncomprehensible that a small group of people, working for free in their spare time, can undo what billions of dollars and dozens of millionaire engineers have done. Who ever that person is, is probably the one that insists that no donations be taken. My two cents.... :cool:

Zwayne
09-21-2008, 01:39 PM
I activated my 3g 16gb at home a few weeks ago.

maXimus
09-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Where did you buy it?

Zwayne
09-21-2008, 02:50 PM
At&t .Walked out with the box sealed, never opened, intill I got home!

MrBucket101
09-21-2008, 03:50 PM
I have always believed and have always said that someone on the Dev Team works for Apple or has connections to an Apple engineer. No one can convince me otherwise. It's uncomprehensible that a small group of people, working for free in their spare time, can undo what billions of dollars and dozens of millionaire engineers have done. Who ever that person is, is probably the one that insists that no donations be taken. My two cents.... :cool:

I'm not so sure on that one. Remember back to the days of the V3i, our only hope for a free unlock was "wait for the russians"

I've actually spoken to NerveGas before and he is a very educated person, him and i think two other dev team member where known far before the iPhone came out. They were into hacking OSX and decompiling OSX install discs and removing the security checks so that the OS could be installed on a PC. IIRC NerveGas worked on the kalyway disc which is a well known successful hackintosh disc, its floating around on TPB still. Basically, they were into just hacking away at apple products, for a while i mean we all bought Motorola Phones, because we had the freedom to customize and what not, i think they do the same but just with apple products

I think that most of the dev team has been around apple products long enough to understand how they work (not to mention that the entire Mac OS is based of a linux distro "Free BSD", im sure that fact helps abunch). and that the majority of them are some sort of Software or Hardware Engineer, and that they do work in they're spare time. I do beleive they have a contact in apple, that much has to be true, but as far as actually working for the company they're royally screwing...Just seems a lil too fishy

maXimus
09-21-2008, 05:07 PM
As you said "at least a contact"!!!!! ;)